We’re in Mid-August now and it’s almost the end of summer and I bet you’re wondering, what’s in season for me to chow down on so I can snack smartly and intentionally? Here are some tips for summer snacking, along with a nutritional (and aesthetically beautiful) summer salad recipe so that you keep up your healthy habits before and after your DEFINE classes!
What to Buy: For fruits, buy berries, mangoes, peaches, plums, melons, cherries, and tomatoes. For veggies, incorporate more leafy greens, herbs such as mint and cilantro, eggplants, avocado, carrots, corn, cauliflower, and cucumbers. All of these fruits and most of these veggies can easily be cut up ahead of time and divided into airtight containers for you to bring to work, or to keep in the fridge as snacks for the week for you or the family.
Perks of Buying in Season:
- Fruits/Veggies in Season always taste better. When fruits and vegetables are picked for consumption that have been naturally ripened on the vine or the tree and harvested at the right time, it will have much more flavor and nutrition.
- It supports your body’s nutritional needs. Summer foods such as stone fruits (peaches, plums etc.) provide us with extra beta-carotenes and other carotenoids that help protect us against sun damage.
DUBAI TIP: Sometimes these seasonal fruits can be hard to find at your local grocery store in Dubai, so don’t be opposed to buying frozen! Frozen produce is picked when it’s most ripe (and most nutritious). Also, the produce is washed and packaged right after it’s harvested, so there typically aren’t any chemicals added to the produce.
Here’s a great multi-purpose recipe that utilizes these seasonal fruits and veggies and will keep you cool for the rest of the summer. It can be prepared ahead of time to bring to work, pool parties, or munch on before or after your next DEFINE class!
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 pint yellow raspberries (or regular raspberries if you cannot find yellow raspberries in Dubai)
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh mint, picked and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey or agave
- ¼ tsp good flakey sea salt
1. Whisk together olive oil and honey/agave in a large bowl.
2. Gently fold in fruit and herbs and sprinkle with sea salt. Keep covered in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can be stored for up to 3 days. This salad is fresh, sweet & savory with nutritional value to boot.
We want to make getting educated about foods easy & fun, so let us know if you have any questions or comments you’d like to share or if you have any recipe requests that we can whip up for you! Follow us on Facebook or Instagram @definefoods to see more quick tips, recipes, & foods inspiration.
Source: DEFINE foods: End of Summer Snacking Done Right – by Ash Agnite, DEFINE foods (Adapted for Dubai)